GBD New Standard 9442 Cleanup

Recently I bought a GBD New Standard 9442 on eBay in which the seller said had been “professionally” cleaned. The photos online looked ok and I bid on the pipe. Upon receipt I was disappointed in the condition. It would not even pass a pipe cleaner.

There was a lot of tar built up in the base of the pipe and the stem was plugged solid. I went through a number of pipe cleaners and cotton swabs to get it cleaned.

The stem had a couple of tooth marks and a crack in the bottom of the stem. Using the black super glue I tried to fill the tooth marks and repair the crack.

This is an area that I will need much more practice in before I can say it’s good. At this writing the repair I made are primitive but ok. I will continue to practice…

I soaked the stem in oxyclean and again in alcohol to get the deep oxidation loose. Then using wet sanding from the 1200 – 4000 micro pads and then going up to 12000.

Obsidian oil was used to make the final stem polish. Once it dried I took it to the wheel and buffed it.


Dr. Grabow Royal Duke Re-Stemmed and Reserected!

I was finally able to complete the restem of the Royal Duke I have been working on for some time now. I bought it on eBay as part of a group of no stemmed, in need of care, bowls. The over all condition was not too bad. So I gave it a good ream,  clean and salt / alcohol bath. The stem selected was a new vulcanite that was too big all around. So using the PIMO tenon and Dremel tools was able to get the size and shape I needed. Next up was to hand sand with the micro sponges at first I used the 1200-4000 with water to wet sand. Then after the stem dried I used the same three pads dry and went up to 12000 grit to get as much of a shine as I could. Finally using Brebbia Stem Polish and a nice fleece rag was able to get a nice shine to both the bowl and stem.