London Hall Supreme

A while ago I bought this Dublin shaped bowl from eBay. It was in good shape and just needed a stem and good cleaning for it to resume service.

The bowl did not have much cake built up like it was rarely used. So I just gave it a light brushing out and a course of salt and alcohol and pipe cleaners in the shank. There was a slight burn on the top which I wiped with alcohol and soft cloth. One thing it did have was a fine threaded insert in the shank. I removed it before I began to work on it.

I selected an oval stem to replace the missing one and turned it to fit with the PIMO tenon tool. I’m still trying to master this and believe I now have at least a basic understanding of it.

Once the stem was fit I added a little color to the bowl by using a Dark Brown stain to it. After applying the stain I flamed it to set it and then wiped it down with alcohol to get to the desired richness.

The grain of the bowl is very nice and I did not want to hide it. There are no visible fills or defects in it and has a great character to it.

I then polished the stem with sanding sponges beginning with the 1200 to 4000 grits with water and then dry sanding the 6000 to 12000 grits. I followed this with Brebbia’s Pipe and Stem Polish to get the shine up.

When the bowl was ready I took it to the wheel and polished it with white diamond and then wax, added the stem and was very happy with the results.

After I posted this it was suggested that I put a bend in the stem. I have not done this before and had to get the idea settled first. I did some research to see how to do it.

I went to the Reborn pipes blog and found the method to use and it worked very well.

I took the stem and inserted a pipe cleaner into it. I used my paint removing heat gun to heat the stem evenly.

 

After I heated the stem I used my bottle of everclear to roll the stem over it to get the shape.

 

I just put a slight bend in the stem.

Thanks to Steve at Reborn Pipes for the suggestion and instructions on how to get this done.

Advertisements

No Name Flame and Hand Cut Billiard

Today  I am writing after reserecting a no name “Imported Briar”  bowl that I won on eBay a couple of month ago. When this pipe came to me it had no stem. I see that the seller has decided to sell the bowls and the stems separately. This causes me some heartburn as I was able to get the bowls but no stems.

The bowl top was not too bad and neither was the cake inside.

 

The first thing I did was to ream the bowl with my Castleford reamer. It cleaned up quite easily. Next I topped the pipe by sanding it on a hard bench surface with 320 sandpaper. I saved the dust for use in filling any damaged areas in future reserections.

 

When I redid this pipe I used an Army style stem and hand made the tenon with a dremel and sanding drum combination and medium grit sanding cloth.

 

 

Next I sanded the stem with micro sanding pads from 1200 to 4800 grits.

 

Next I went through 6000 to 12000 grits to clean the rest of the stem and bring up the shine.

 

Once the stem was finished I rubbed it down with Brebbia’s Stem & Bowl cleaner and buffed it on the wheel with white diamond.