Kaywoodie Ruf-Tone

I found this Kaywoodie on eBay a couple of months ago and have been trying to decide what to do with it. It showed OK in the pictures and when I received it it had showed promise.

You can see by the shape of it, the thread style, that it had several different layers of finish on it. The cake in the bowl was irregular but not too bad. The rim is tarred and looked like it had been scraped.

The  first thing I did was to remove the cake and use salt and alcohol to clean it. The rim needed a lot of attention so I sanded it on a table top with 320 grit sand paper.

Next, I took the bowl and soaked it in an alcohol bath to loosen the finish.

Once it came  out of the bath I had to use various means to get the three finishes off. I used a wire brush on a Dremel; a wire brush, and I found that a grinding-bit that is for the Dremel did the best job.

By using the small grinder-bit by hand I was able to get the remaining finish off and keep the form of the lines.

The stem had light chatter on it and I used 1200 to 4000 grit sanding sponges and wet sanded the chatter out. I then went through 12000 grit sponges to get the sanding marks off. The stem dulled as it was plastic and I am not familiar working the plastic stems. I used Brebbia pipe and stem polish to bring it up some more. It still had a slight dullness to it so I put out a call for help on the PSU pipe forum to a friend Coastie. He suggested I use tripoli and white diamond as well as olive oil. This advise worked like a charm! The stem came up just fine.

I next restrained it with Oxblood stain using several coats and set it with a flame.

When the color looked OK I then worked on getting the finish and shine back onto the bowl. I used tripoli and white diamond and gave it a coat of wax and buffed it with a terrycloth rag.

It should give many good smokes to come!

Advertisements

Crusty Cleanups

I was asked by a friend to see if I could clean his pipes. He had a Savinelli Punto Oro 611, Marmet Bent and a Hardcastle Poker.

The three pipes were in OK condition. They had a lot of cake built up and the stems were oxidized.

HS B3

HM B2

HH B2

I reamed the three bowls with my Castleford reamer beginning with the smallest and moving slowly up to the largest.

HS B6

HM B5

HH A1

All cleaned up pretty well but the stem of the Hardcastle Poker was stuck and I had to put it into the freezer for several days to get it out.  When it came out it had cake buldup in the shank that had to come out. Each day I was able to move it a bit more and it came out on the third day.When it came out it had cake buildup in the shank that had to come out. 

The rims on all of the pipes needed some kind attention to clean them and repair small marks up.  Tar stains on the rims were heavy on both the Savinelli and the Hardcastle. I used alcohol on them with no result. I then used saliva to work into the rim and loosen up the tar. This work very well.

The Marmet and the Hardcastle had chips around the rims and I used Dark Brown and Black anilin dyes mixed 2:1.  Just a touchup was needed. I did this with a Q tip.

The stems were first given a bath of Oxyclean then wet sanded with 1200 to 4000 grit sponges, and dry ended with sponges up to 12000 grit.

DSCN0544

DSCN0545

I failed to photograph the complete cleaning of the stems.

When the stems were sufficiently cleaned inside and out, I used Brebbia pipe and stem polish on the stems, then reunited them with their bowls. Next they were buffed on the wheel with beeswax and buffed finally with a soft cloth.

HS A3

HM A2

HH A4

Howies Trio

They are now ready to be enjoyed again for a long time!